March 15, 2008

Moments of Power

I woke up this morning thinking, “I don’t know what I’m going to do today.” It can be a distressing feeling, not knowing what you should be doing. When you say, “I don’t know what to do,” the feeling that goes with that expression can contain an air of helplessness or defeat.

But then I remembered — the moments when you don’t know what to do are the moments when you are the most powerful. In these moments, you are not just reacting to what’s going on around you, or rushing to keep up with the world. These are the moments when you can choose what to do. You can do whatever is most important to you. You can choose the direction for your life.

If you say, “I don’t know what to do,” and then think of that situation as a moment of power, it can remind you that you are in control of your life. You are always in control of your life, but especially in those moments when you are ready to imagine something and decide on a course of action. If there is something you have been meaning to do, this is your chance!

And what better time to get going on something new than at the beginning of spring? It’s a time of rapid growth and renewal, and so it seems fitting that this is the day I am launching my new blog. I’m finishing up the process of writing and rewriting my book Fear of Nothing. I know I’m approaching the end of that process because my readers all say my latest draft is ready for the world to see. And so it’s time for me to start telling people about this book.

In this blog, I’ll be discussing ideas from the book, and some related ideas, and sometimes sharing simple stories and experiences. You can offer your own thoughts and stories by adding comments. I want to make sure the comments stay close to the subject of each blog entry, so if you want to share a thought or story that goes off in a different direction, e-mail me so I can create a new entry for that topic.

You’re probably wondering why the book is called Fear of Nothing, and what that phrase is all about, so that’s the subject I’ll write about next.

No comments: